5/30/2006

Mallu detection squad

How do you recognize a desi abroad? There are no answers, you just do. There are ones who look same as you and those that would have looked firang in India are also and easy pick. For us all chinki's look the same, all americans might be indistinguishable but even the most blending of the Indians stand out.

My first experience with this kind of ability was not with any international exposure. It was during my days in Mysore when I had just moved in there. All southies spoke the same cryptic language which I could not understand. But I landed up with mallus as my room mates. Mallus have a peculiar detection mechanism which works without hearing the other person speak a word. I mean just by looks, most of my roomies would be able to locate another mallu. So in our house there were mallu hounds who at every bakery would find out that the bakery waalah was mallu, every taxi driver they meet they would be able to chaff out the mallus out of them. Even from a name they could classify a mallu.

But it took me no time to get into their squad. There were following simple rules (without offending any mallu who might have started folding his tund) :

If someone is wearing a white dhoti with a shirt, he has to be a mallu
If the name is a combination of Hindu and Christian. For e.g. Amit George.
If your name is any combination of George, Koshy, Urvin, Justin, Bobby. Nothing out of this syllabus.
If the person has curly hairs
If the person is totally nuts about girls in gym, or girls in white sarees. Wonder how many people will love to see women in whites, but mallus sure would die for it.
If he searches for a mallu mess in 50 km vicinity of his house and says its convinient to have the putt and egg curry and biriyani on weekend than to cook at home

Its been great fun with all my mallu friends who might themselves be currently puzzled how they smell a mallu coz they never came up with a formal approach.

And there are incentives for getting a mallu. Each one has such dearness towards each other that he can even give you your account number. I don't know how their practical experience is but for an outsider it sure seems that. So I think its all the more important to know whether the other person is mallu and ready to chat in his own language.

Am I right? Enda para?

No comments: