5/21/2006

The Da Vinci Watched

Just got to see the Da Vinci Code. Well there's been quite a hype around it in India. I think its quite a nice movie (Don't ask me if its better than the novel or not, as I don't think movies can come to close to the detail of the novel). The movie is good and a must watch according to me for those who have not read the novel and also for those who have.

Good acting by Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautau. A lot of French speaking English reminded me of the way those people speak English ( I have somehow developed a liking for that accent. Long to hear English that way. Its not the correct way to speak but sure it sounds good. Especially when you're not a pundit in English yourself.). The movie touches on every important part of the novel. Has nice graphic description of the history (perhaps they lifted this concept from RDB) where they go back to history in b/w and scenes of before Christ are shown in that b/w sketchy manner. All the turning points of the novel are kept that way intact and shown (Pardon me if I missed some intricacies as its been long since I read the novel and I am surely not known for my memory). Characters match the imagination.

One thing where the movie lacks is the details of the symbology which Dan Brown has done more justice in the novel. I need to hear one review from the person who sees it without reading the novel. Does it incite the same amount of interest in the subject of Symbology as the novel does?

And btw on the controversy, I guess one thing where the movie has tried to set its record right is the part of belief in Jesus as God. Robert Langdon does keep getting to the point back that this is all what people believe, the grail followers believe and this is a hoax which people believe in deeply. The message is little less forced as compared to the novel. So my guess is that there is no need for such debate about it hurting the Christian belief. It should be released peacefully in India.

1 comment:

ASSET said...

oye sahi hai.
kab aur kaha dekh li.
premier main gaya tha kya?
i wud also get hold of it, and i am looking forward to it.
more so as the topic is interesting,and the actor is my fav. Tom Hanks.

Asset