3/27/2006

Dishes that may be extinct soon

Has anyone tasted Mokambo paneer? I doubt. This is one of the many filmy and non filmy dishes served in our campus by a caterer called golkonda. In the crowd of the Food court the board of this one caterer speaks for itself in two terms. One is in wasted food. Always a unanimous topper at it among all the caterers and second for the name of its dishes.

To a Lakhnavi the dish names are not a new thing. You can have any thing fried and with gravy with the name of "shahi", "Makhmali", "Galgoti" etc. But back there I used to find atleast some pattern and coherence with the name and the dish. Story here is quite different actually. The dish names change but the dish remains the same everyday.

I think it has something to do with the way these dishes have to be had. 'Mokambo Paneer' which might taste the same but is intended to be had with the same pride as Mokambo would do. Mokambo khush hua. 'Paneer lagaan' can gives you the fervor to have it like you're just going to bat against the English. Then there's Paneer Dumpukt which I am yet to get any clue of. Taste is what keeps the people down to earth however. Veg Jaipuri or Kolhapuri aur lahauri go on to show Indo-Pak unity as they all look/taste and are wasted in equal quantities.

All in all I think branding is something to be learnt from the caterer. I even did googling on paneer mokambo to see if there's this dish anywhere left in the world. And to my surprise, since web results showed none, I think this dish is on the verge of extinction.

No comments: