4/24/2006

How much do you write?

Write as in when you use the pen or pencil to write on a paper. If I was to measure, I think I would be writing at best half a page in a month here and there for some little things.

That kind of shocks me as it did to me yesterday when the ICICI bank manager asked me to write a letter to the bank manager for my work. I was happily taking the instruction and returning thinking I'd be emailing it or shall be printing it and getting the copy next time I visit the bank. The manager helpfully suggested "Sir you can just jot down the application by hand, it should be sufficient".

Writing an English formal letter in front of an ICICI manager. I am sure we never do that so often at office, email etiquettes is one thing, writing a formal letter is another. I mean its not that one cannot write it but there are always small small (one mark, half mark kind) mistakes that one cannot avoid. On top of that my handwriting was never something I could be proud of (I used to be a very happy man during ragging days though, no notes writing for the seniors) and after these years of abstaining from writing, it has developed into something of a scribble.

We don't write as things work without it. We've started typing so much that for noting phone numbers also we use notepad. Nothing bad as things ought to get more efficient. Write once copy many times but there is something charming about the good old way of writing that one does not get in typing. I think a tablet PC might bring in the benefits of both the worlds but I am yet to even see one working and its efficiency. Till then think about it. How many of you really write and how much?

1 comment:

realworld-me said...

hmm... the day is not far when there would be no paper work in the world... read e-paper on indiatimes.com
paperless world is far better.... no trees are cut for making a silicon chip but for each sheet, i heard, it carries pulp from 8-9 different trees...