4/18/2006

Confused Kannada Patriotism

I recently happen to read our new avtar channel, CNN IBN's blogs. Surprisingly the one of our respected news reader gave his viewpoints on speaking in Kannada in Bangalore. I was reminded on a similar topic I had talked earlier, on the state of Hindi . Its sometimes sad that the language we speak is not recognised in the same place where we live.

But what is shocking to hear is that he goes on to say that
I was once tempted into asking a couple of slightly rude teenagers on a bike to speak in English
and
"The prevailing feeling here has been more elegantly paraphrased before, but let me interpret it rather plainly: 'just because Hindi is the national language, it doesn't give anyone the right to expect a South Indian or Bengali to speak Hindi in Bangalore."
Can't say much but will just pose a few questions? When someone asks you a way in any damn language and you understand that language, what would you do?
I atleast feel most in a rational bent of mind would try to help out without feeling that the people are rude or something.

Case 2, when you do not understand the language the question is being asked, plain simple you try to arrive at a common language between you two. So what if it has to be sign language.

What I feel is that this sort of reaction to save Kannada is totally misguided. I understand the desperation that the people who are from the north are bringing in Hindi and its kind of blending into local language. But I feel there are a lot of things about Kannada which has flown into the Hindi that we people speak here.

Exactly as I had said in the blog about Hindi, why does the reporter need to go to an English news channel? I think he could have very well gone for a Kannada news channel. But now that the quality people opt for English media the quality of Kannada media is bound to deteriorate.
In the end its not by forcing anyone to use a language makes it rich and widely acceptable, I feel its the interesting literature, movies, dramas etc in it that draw the masses to contribute to it.

No comments: