7/11/2006

Bombay's Boom

A recent issue of Time which I happened to see on the stalls and picked up had this cover story on India Inc. and Bombay's Boom. Little did I know that Bombay's Boom would give a sad connotation. Anyone who has to prove anything tries to raise a havoc on the city which takes it in its stride over and over again. Its the people who keep rising back to normal over and over again but I hardly see a difference created by the people who should be responsible for safety, comfort and development of the Mumbaikars.

I agree we in India don't have the most complying or disciplined citizens of the world, but still people can do things to a limit. They can unite in times of calamity or they can stay calm without making much panic but what do the authorities do? Just do repair work when something rips off Mumbai? I think they need to get their act together.

The Time issue was both amusing and surprising. Amusing because most of it was "What is India?" kind of
article. These people are still trying to discover India and the
shockingly surprising things were the facts mentioned. There was a lot
of focus on Mumbai. Some of the facts like the number of people who die
annually in local trains runs into several hundreds. Its shocking even
to an Indian to know these figures. Here's what the article says:
As a result, passenger groups say, an astonishing 3,500 travelers die every year on the tracks, hundreds simply falling from the trains.


Imagine this happening in any developed country. They would get on a war alert and in India it is something many would not even know.

Well considering we know so much that goes wrong in Mumbai, why do the authorities sleep is something I can't digest. If you know the railway system can't support so many people think of some alternatives. At the least advertise things like what hours should be avoided so that the local trains don't get over crowded, perhaps enforce rules for safety, arrange more trains, have more technology help etc. etc.. I don't know what not but I doubt there is any serious thinking process going on this.

Well!! Finally I hope those in Bombay are able to come over all this yet another time while the government would sleep a few years over it's post analysis.

1 comment:

ASSET said...

I am infuriated ,no end.
I vented my feelings on my blog.
Hv a look.
www.anshulseth.com

This issue of "TIME" was not tht interesting, n if u wud hv talked to me regarding tht, i wud hv saved u some bucks. I hv the whole issue in soft copy.

N check abt ur RSS feed.
My Feedreader was not showing any updates on u since long, n today i just matter 2 come across ur blog, n found some new posts.Strange, this tech. thingy...

Asset